The error message "Error communicating with kernel" appearsKB Solution ID: SOLN2280|Last Revised: July 29, 2015
- You receive the error message "Error communicating with kernel“
I. Repair your ESET installation
- Click Start All programs ESET ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus Uninstall.
- Click Next.
- Click Repair.
- Click Repair.
- Once the Repair is complete, click Finish and attempt to open your ESET product again. If you continue to receive an error message, proceed to part II.
II. Uninstall and reinstall your ESET product using the ESET Uninstaller tool
- Use the ESET Uninstaller tool to perform a manual uninstallation.
- Reinstall your ESET product. If the issue is not resolved, continue to part III below.
III. Make sure the ESET Service is running
- Open the Services window:
Windows Vista and Windows 7: Click Start , type services.msc and press ENTER on your keyboard.
Windows XP: Click Start Run, type services.msc and click OK. Click Start, type services.msc into the search field and then click services.
- Verify that the Startup type is set to Automatic and that the Service Status reads Started then click Apply OK.
- Restart your computer. If you still receive the error, you may need to remove a malware infection from your system. Continue with solution IV below.
IV. Ensure that your computer is clean
- Win32/Sirefef (Zero.Access rootkit): Visit the following ESET Knowledgebase article for detailed instructions on determining if you are infected with the Zero.Access rootkit.
How do I remove Zero.Access rootkit?
If you determine that you are not infected with the Zero.Access rootkit, follow the part b instructions below for the Win32/IRCBot.ANR stand-alone removal tool.
- Win32/IRCBot.ANR: ESET has developed a stand-alone malware removal tool to remove this infiltration. Visit the following ESET Knowledgebase article for instructions:
How to use the ESET Win32/IRCBot stand-alone cleaner from the Command Prompt window.
If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please contact ESET Customer Care.