How to install and activate ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus with an Activation Key (4.x)KB Solution ID: SOLN2608|Last Revised: January 17, 2014
If you purchased a boxed retail version of ESET Smart Security 4.x or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.x with an in-product Activation Key, please follow the instructions below to install and activate your key.
- The installation process is similar for both products but we only include the screenshots for ESET Smart Security. If there is a notable difference, it will be noted in the relevant steps below.
- If you purchased ESET Cybersecurity for Mac - click here for installation and activation instructions.
Installing and activating ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus
- Insert the CD that came in your boxed retail product into your computer for the installation to begin automatically. If it does not, click the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, click Computer and then double-click the ESET disc icon .
- Click Install ESET Smart Security or Install ESET NOD32 Antivirus on the Launch Screen.
- Double-click the ESET Autorun icon to begin installation if Autorun is disabled on your computer.
- The ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Setup window will appear. Click Next to continue.
- In the next window, select I accept the terms in the License Agreement and click Next to continue.
- The Installation Mode window will appear. Select Typical and click Next to continue.
- On the next window, select Activate using an activation key (recommended) and click Next.
- Enter your Activation Key found on the sticker inside your product and click Next.
- Enter the appropriate information into each field. Be sure to enter a valid email address, as your license details will be sent there. Click Next.
- Enter the appropriate information into each field and select your email contact preferences. Click Next.
- In the ThreatSense.Net Early Warning System window, select the Enable ThreatSense.Net Early Warning System option and click Next to continue.
- In the Detection of potentially unwanted applications window, select your preferred option (see What is a potentially unwanted application?) and click Next.
- Click Install to continue.
- Once you click Install, you will see the Installing ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus window (below) for a few minutes.
- When you see the Completing the ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus Setup Wizard window, click Finish to complete your installation.
- If you installed ESET Smart Security 4.2, the New Network Detected window will appear. This window allows you to select your desired protection mode. Most users should select Allow sharing. See the figure below for an explanation on both modes.