ESET Smart Security 5 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 FAQKB Solution ID: SOLN2737|Last Revised: October 26, 2012
- How do I install version 5.x of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
For step-by-step instructions on how to install ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.x, see one of the following ESET Knowledgebase articles:
- I have a license for version 4.x; will I be able to upgrade to version 5.x?
Yes. Customers with an active license at the time version 5.x releases will be able to upgrade for free. For detailed instructions on upgrading, see the following Knowledgebase article:
- After installing my ESET product I cannot activate it. What should I do?
Check to see that your Username and Password have been entered correctly, if you are still unable to activate your product visit ESET Product Activation help.
- Can I install my copy of ESET Smart Security 5 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 on multiple computers?
You need a separate license for each installation of ESET Smart Security 5 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 on a physical or virtual machine. You will receive one license with the purchase of ESET Smart Security 5 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5. You can purchase additional licenses in derivations of 1-5 computers from the ESET Store. For more information about ESET product licensing, visit the ESET Home Licensing FAQ.
- What is a 3-computer pack?
A 3-computer pack includes 1 year of antivirus protection for up to 3 separate computers.
If, during activation, you receive an error message (such as "Activation failed"), it is likely because you already activated your key when you installed your ESET product on the first computer. After activating you should have received a Username and Password which should be used to activate all subsequent installations and reinstallations on all computers.
- What should I do if I receive the error message "Virus signature database update failed"?
Visit the following Knowledgebase article for instructions on how to resolve this issue:
- What is the difference between ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
Both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus provide proactive detection of malware utilizing advanced heuristics, generic signatures and genetic technology to help protect from unknown threats. ESET Smart Security includes Antispam, Personal firewall and Parental controls in addition to the full compliment of threat detection technology included in ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
- Is there an ESET Smart Security 5 or ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 Business Edition?
The current business editions of these products are ESET Endpoint Security and ESET Endpoint Antivirus, respectively.
- What are the new and improved features in version 5.x?
For a detailed list of new features and improvements to version 5 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus, visit the following Knowledgebase article:
Some of the new features in version 5 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus include:
- Parental Control (Only available in ESET Smart Security 5)
- Gamer Mode
- HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System)
- Startup Scan Delay
- Auto-Scan of Removable Media
- Shutdown after Scan
- Summary Statistics after scan
- Activation of Product
- Cloud-powered Reputation
- Device Control by Device ID
- What are the system requirements for ESET products?
ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/Home Server
i386 (Intel® 80386), AMD64 (x86-64)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus only: Microsoft Windows NT4.0 SP6
- I have a question/issue that is not listed here, where can I go for additional ESET product support?