Can I use my ESET product with Microsoft Windows 8?KB Solution ID: SOLN3093|Last Revised: January 15, 2013
- Support for ESET products installed on Microsoft Windows 8
- Solutions or workarounds to known issues with ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 5.2 installed on Microsoft Windows 8
The Windows 8 environment is a new graphical user interface in Windows 8 that features a tile-based Start screen with running and frequently used applications.
Windows 8 "Toast" notifications keep you up to date by displaying the application information in the Windows 8 environment.
ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 6.x and later are Microsoft Certified Windows 8 compatible
- Purchase ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus
- Existing customers with a valid license can upgrade to the latest version of ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus for free. Upgrade to the latest version
For information about Windows 8 security features, read the ESET Threat Blog article "A white paper, Windows 8′s Security Features".
Known Issues in version 5.2.15 (released 12/11/12)
ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 5.2 are supported by Windows 8.
You may experience the following issues with ESET Smart Security / ESET NOD32 Antivirus version 5.2 installed on a Windows 8 system:
1. Security Notifications are not displayed in the Windows 8 environment
This functionality is still in development for integration with the Windows 8 style graphical user interface and will be functional in future ESET products. A service update will be distributed automatically to update existing products. Though notifications are not displayed, your computer's security is not affected in a negative way due to this issue.
2. Do not use the Windows 8 firewall once ESET Smart Security is installed
The Windows 8 firewall is automatically disarmed once ESET Smart Security is installed to avoid conflict with the ESET Personal firewall. We recommend that you do not enable the Windows 8 firewall while the ESET Personal firewall is running, as doing so will negatively affect system performance.
3. ecmd.exe is not recognized as a trusted application
To run this command line utility click Yes, I trust the publisher and want to run this app in the Action Center dialog window.
Known issues in version 5.2.9 (Resolved in Version 5.2.15)
ESET products treat the Windows 8 environment as a full screen application, which causes Gamer mode to engage automatically when the Windows 8 environment is started. To disable automatic switching to Gamer mode press F5 to access Advanced setup, expand User interface Gamer mode and then deselect the check box next to Enable Gamer mode when running applications in full-screen mode automatically. Click OK to save your changes.
Gamer mode will no longer be activated automatically when you switch to the Windows 8 environment.
Click the image to view larger in new window
2. ESET Personal firewall notifications are not displayed in the Windows 8 environment
If some applications cannot connect to the Internet (for example weather is not being updated or you want to browse the web using Internet Explorer in the Windows 8 environment) follow the instructions below to restore connectivity.
I. Set the ESET Personal firewall to Interactive mode
Press F5 to enter Advanced Setup.
Expand Network Personal firewall.
Select Interactive mode from the Filtering mode drop-down menu.
Switch to Desktop mode to check whether ESET Smart Security requires additional attention.
If you are prompted to create a new rule, select Allow or Deny based on your preference for the application in question, and then select the check box for Remember action (create rule). Continue to Part II.
Firewall notifications will not display in the Desktop environment when Presentation mode is engaged in the Windows 8 environment (see issue 1) because notifications and dialog windows are disabled when Presentation mode is active.
II. Allow Windows 8 applications in IDS and advanced options
- Press F5 to enter Advanced Setup.
- Expand Network Personal firewall IDS and advanced options.
- Expand Allowed services in the IDS and advanced options window and select the check box next to Allow Metro applications (Win8 only) if it is not selected. You should now receive notifications while in the Windows environment.
3. Cannot download Windows Store applications with HTTPS scanning enabled
When HTTPS scanning is enabled, applications cannot be installed from the Windows Store.
Internet protection module (1049) will resolve this issue and will be distributed as part of regular updates. To see what versions of protection modules you are currently using, click Help and support About ESET Smart Security or About ESET NOD32 Antivirus from the main program window. To resolve this issue temporarily, follow the instructions below.
- Press F5 to open the Advanced Setup and expand Web and email Protocol filtering SSL
- Enable Apply created exceptions based on certificates. You should now be able download apps from the Windows Store
Click the image to view larger in new window
4. HIPS error messages are displayed
Compatibility issues with HIPS and Microsoft Windows 8 RTM have been addressed in ESET HIPS support module 1056, released September 6th, 2012. Users of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 version 5.2 will receive this support module automatically as part of regular product updates. After receiving the update and performing a system restart you should no longer receive error messages from HIPS.
5. An ESET SysRescue disk cannot be created using Windows 8
Attempting to create a SysRescue disk in Windows 8 can result in a BSOD. An update to SysRescue will be released to resolve this issue, until it becomes available we recommend that you create an ESET SysRescue disk on another version of Microsoft Windows for use with Windows 8.