ESET Smart Security 8 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8 FAQKB Solution ID: SOLN3441|Last Revised: September 30, 2014
- How do I install version 8 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
For step-by-step instructions on how to install ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus, see one of the following ESET Knowledgebase articles:
- I have a license for a previous version; will I be able to upgrade to version 8?
Yes. Customers with an active license at the time version 8 releases will be able to upgrade for free. For detailed instructions on upgrading, see the following Knowledgebase article:
- After installing my ESET product I cannot activate it. What should I do?
Check to see that your Username and Password have been entered correctly: How do I enter my Username and Password to activate ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
If you are still unable to activate your product visit ESET Product Activation help.
- Can I install my copy of ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus on multiple computers?
You need a separate license for each installation of ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus on a physical or virtual machine. You will receive one license with the purchase of ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus. For more information about ESET product licensing, visit the ESET Home Licensing FAQ.
- What is a 3-computer pack?
A 3-computer pack includes 1 year of antivirus protection for up to 3 separate computers.
If, during activation, you receive an error message (such as "Activation failed"), it is likely because you already activated your key when you installed your ESET product on the first computer. After activating you should have received a Username and Password which should be used to activate all subsequent installations and reinstallations on all computers.
- What is the difference between ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
Both ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus provide proactive detection of malware utilizing advanced heuristics, generic signatures and genetic technology to help protect from unknown threats. ESET Smart Security includes Anti-Theft, Antispam, Personal firewall and Parental controls in addition to the full compliment of threat detection technology included in ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
- Is there an ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition?
The current business editions of these products are ESET Endpoint Security and ESET Endpoint Antivirus, respectively.
- What are the new and improved features in version 8?
For a detailed list of new features and improvements to version 8 of ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus, visit the following Knowledgebase article: What's new in ESET Smart Security 8 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8?
Some of the new features in ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus include:
- Advanced Memory Scanner: Helps detecting heavily-packed malware and analyzes decrypted, “stripped” files directly in memory
- Exploit Blocker: Looks deeper into the processes of legitimate applications (for example, web browsers) that are known to be highly exploitable
- Vulnerability Shield (ESET Smart Security only): Protects against any code or attacks trying to exploit known network vulnerabilities
- ESET Specialized Cleaner: Built into the product, the ESET Specialized Cleaner provides another layer of security by helping clean complex malware
- Next generation of Social Media Scanner: Along with Facebook, the ESET Social Media Scanner also adds protection against malicious links on your Twitter profile and posts, as well as those you follow
- What are the system requirements for ESET products?
Windows 8, 7, Vista, Home Server (Anti-Theft not available for Home Servers):
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB (1 GB for Vista x64) RAM of system memory
320 MB available space
Super VGA (800 × 600)
400 MHz 32-bit (x86)/ 64-bit (x64) processor
128 MB RAM of system memory
320 MB available disk space
Super VGA (800 × 600)
- I have a question/issue that is not listed here, where can I go for additional ESET product support?