How do I generate an installation error log for Windows ESET products?KB Solution ID: SOLN406|Last Revised: May 28, 2014
- An install error log has been requested by ESET Customer Care
- Your ESET product ends prematurely, ends with a specific error message, or performs a rollback to a previous system state
This log file can then be sent to ESET Customer Care to allow us to troubleshoot the issue more effectively. In addition, the setupapi.log file created by Microsoft Windows can also be used to provide more information about the problem, but first it must be properly configured.
I. Configure the verbosity of the C:\Windows\setupapi.log file
Navigate to the log file using the steps below:
- Open the Registry Editor.
Windows XP users: Click Start Run, type regedit and press ENTER. Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start, type Run in the Start Search box and press ENTER, and then type regedit in the Run window. Windows 8 users: Press the Windows key + R, type regedit and press ENTER.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup and set the Log Level value to 0x0000FFFF by typing the "ffff" string into the Value data field (see Figure 1-1). When you are finished, continue to part II.
Click the image to view larger in new window
II. Run the installation with the special parameter and create the ESET install.log file
- Follow the appropriate link below to download the offline installer (.msi) for your product (click here to determine which installation package to download). When prompted, click Save and save the file to your Desktop.
- Open the Run window.
Windows XP users: Click Start Run. Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start, type Run in the search box and press ENTER. Windows 8 users: Press the Windows key + R.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder containing the .msi install file (e.g., eav_nt32_ENU.msi). Select All Files from the Files of type drop-down menu. Double-click the .msi install file.
- The install path will be inserted into the Run window. Type (space) /lvx* install.log at the end of the install path, and click OK (See Figure 1-2 below).
Attempt to finish the installation as normal, or proceed until you encounter any errors. Once the installation completes or fails, collect the following logs. When you are finished, continue to part III:
Install log for all Windows Operating systems
"Install.log" This log will be located in the same file as the eset installer (.msi) file
Windows XP only
Windows Vista / Windows 7
III. Respond to ESET Customer Care
If you have already opened a ESET Customer Care support request, respond to the email and attach the log file that you just generated. If you have not yet contacted ESET Customer Care, open a case now. Be sure to attach the install.log and setupapi.log files to your email to ESET Customer Care. We will review both files and advise you of the best course of action.