ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus installation problems (how to generate an error log)KB Solution ID: SOLN406|Last Revised: December 12, 2013
- An install error log has been requested by ESET Customer Care
- ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus ends prematurely, ends with a specific error message, or performs a rollback to a previous system state.
This log file can then be sent to ESET Customer Care to allow us to troubleshoot the issue more effectively. In addition, the setupapi.log file created by Microsoft Windows can also be used to provide more information about the problem, but first it must be properly configured.
I. Configure the verbosity of the C:\Windows\setupapi.log file
Navigate to the log file using the steps below:
- Open the Registry Editor.
Windows XP users: Click Start Run, type regedit and press ENTER. Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start, type Run in the Start Search box and press ENTER, and then type regedit in the Run window. Windows 8 users: Press the Windows key + R, type regedit and press ENTER.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup and set the Log Level value to 0x0000FFFF by typing the "ffff" string into the Value data field (see Figure 1-1). When you are finished, continue to part II.
Click the image to view larger in new window
II. Run the installation with the special parameter and create the ESET install.log file
- Download the offline installer (.msi) below (click here to determine which installation package to download). When prompted, click Save and save the file to your Desktop.
ESET Smart Security 7:64-bit Download 32-bit Download
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7:64-bit Download 32-bit Download
- Open the Run window.
Windows XP users: Click Start Run. Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start, type Run in the search box and press ENTER. Windows 8 users: Press the Windows key + R.
- Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder containing the .msi install file (e.g., eav_nt32_ENU.msi). Select All Files from the Files of type drop-down menu. Double-click the .msi install file.
- The install path will be inserted into the Run window. Type (space) /lvx* install.log at the end of the install path, and click OK (See Figure 1-2 below).
Attempt to finish the installation as normal, or proceed until you encounter any errors. The install.log file will be created in the folder where the .msi file is located. The setupapi.log file will be created in the C:\Windows folder. Windows Vista / Windows 7 users should look for the following files:
which are used instead of the setupapi.log file inherent in older versions of Microsoft Windows. When you are finished, continue to part III.
III. Respond to ESET Customer Care
If you have already opened a ESET Customer Care support request, respond to the email and attach the log file that you just generated. If you have not yet contacted ESET Customer Care, open a case now. Be sure to attach the install.log and setupapi.log files to your email to ESET Customer Care. We will review both files and advise you of the best course of action.